Skip to content Skip to footer

Why is this important? The information we provide differs between countries. To get information for your country, please select from the dropdown.

Can I change my name back to my maiden name, or to any other name?

This information applies to Scotland

Anyone over the age of 16 can change their name at any time. You can change either your forename, your surname or both. You can add new names or drop a name you do not want. You can use your new name for all purposes including getting married or applying for a passport. You cannot change your name for purposes of fraud.

Although it is not necessary, it is advisable to officially record your change of name with the Registrar General. Your local Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Scotland can supply an application form.

For more information on all aspects of changing your own or a child’s name, see Changing your name.

Other Frequently asked questions about family and personal issues: