Skip to content Skip to footer

Why is this important? The information we provide differs between countries. To get information for your country, please select from the dropdown.

Can I complain about my doctor (GP)?

This information applies to Scotland

If you feel you have been poorly treated or misdiagnosed, you can complain about your GP. If the patient is not able to give permission because of illness, incapacity or death then a relative or friend may make the complaint on their behalf if the GP practice agrees that they are a suitable representative. If you decide to make a complaint, it is best to do it as soon as possible as there are time limits within which you must act.

The first step is to complain to your GP practice, which should have a leaflet to explain its complaints procedure. This first stage is called local resolution. You can follow the guidance in the leaflet or write to the GP or Practice Manager setting out your complaint. They should reply within a specified time. If you would like help with making your complaint, you can contact the Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS), which provides free, confidential, independent and impartial advice throughout Scotland and is accessed through your local CAB. For more information about the PASS, see NHS complaints.

To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by e-mail, click on nearest CAB.

For more information about making a complaint about a doctor or seeking compensation, see NHS complaints.

If you are not satisfied with the response to your complaint, you can refer the matter to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman.

For more information about the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman, see How to use an ombudsman in Scotland.

For more information about patients’ rights, see NHS patients’ rights.

Other Frequently asked questions about health: