Why is this important? The information we provide differs between countries. To get information for your country, please select from the dropdown.

Get advice

You can contact us to:

  • get advice from a Citizens Advice Bureau
  • get advice over the phone from a Citizens Advice Bureau
  • get advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service.

Get advice from a Citizens Advice Bureau

Citizens Advice Bureaux offer free, confidential, impartial and independent advice from over 3,500 locations. These include high streets, community centres, doctors’ surgeries, courts and prisons.

Top tips

What to bring to a bureau

Bringing the right paperwork with you can help the adviser resolve your problem more quickly.

Find out what would be useful to bring

Our advice helps people resolve their problems with debt, benefits, employment, housing, discrimination, and many more issues. It is available to everyone.

Advice may be given face-to-face or by phone. Most bureaux can arrange home visits and some also provide email advice. A growing number are piloting the use of text, online chat and webcams. Search for your local bureau to see the full range of services it provides.

Search for your local CAB

What to expect from a visit to a CAB

When you arrive at the CAB we will welcome you and let you know what services we have available. These include a wide range of factsheets and leaflets for you to browse. Please tell us about any language or access requirements you have and we will do our best to accommodate them.

Everyone is offered a short session with an assessor, who will identify the most appropriate way for us to give you the help that is needed. We’ll keep you informed about the length of time you may need to wait for this.

Depending on your particular needs, we may make an appointment to discuss your problem further – in person, by phone or on email. Alternatively, we may provide you with information to take away, or direct you to a different organisation that is better placed to help you.

Get advice by phone

Advice by phone is available from all Citizens Advice Bureaux. In addition, we are in the process of developing a national phone service. It will become available in different parts of the UK over the next two years.

It is now fully operational in Wales, but only for people who live or work there. In England the service is currently being rolled out area by area. If it is not yet available in your area, you will hear options for recorded information.

  • For Wales call 08444 77 20 20
  • For England call 08444 111 444 or check your local bureau's contact details via the search box above
  • TextRelay users should call 08444 111 445.

Calls to our national phone service (0844 numbers) will be charged at five pence per minute from a BT landline and may cost considerably more from mobile and other phones. Please check with your provider the rates you will pay per minute and the call connection charges, so that you're aware of the cost of these calls.

Get advice about a consumer problem

Other ways of getting advice

Here are some other ways of getting advice:

  • ACAS give employment advice. Go to: www.acas.org.uk
  • Shelter give housing advice. Go to www.shelter.org.uk
  • National Debt Line give debt advice. Go to www.nationaldebtline.co.uk
  • StepChange Debt Charity. Go to: www.stepchange.org
  • The Money Advice Service gives advice about money and financial issues. Go to: www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk
  • Which? has a legal advice service available to some subscribers. Go to: www.which.co.uk
  • Your household, motor or personal insurance policy may provide a legal advice service
  • If you belong to a union, professional body or trade association, you may be able to get legal advice from them.

Citizens Advice

Rate this page Give feedback