Skip to content Skip to footer

Why is this important? The information we provide differs between countries. To get information for your country, please select from the dropdown.

What can I do about race discrimination at work?

There are laws against discrimination on racial grounds. Racial grounds include colour, race, nationality and ethnic/national origin. Discrimination can come from anywhere. It could be a colleague, department supervisor, your manager or your employer. Discrimination does not have to be proven as intentional - the fact that it has taken place is enough for action to be taken.

If you feel that an employer is treating you unfairly, there are a number of steps to take. If you think you are being treated less favourably than others due to your colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, you should take action as quickly as possible. The first thing to do is to find out if other colleagues are receiving similar treatment. You should also ask your colleagues if they have noticed your less favourable treatment. Find out if anyone is willing to stand by you. If you can, try to speak personally to the person who has been discriminating against you and ask them to stop or warn them that you will complain officially. You should only do this if you feel it is safe. You may find it helpful to have a colleague or trade union representative with you when you do this.

You should tell your manager what is happening. Put it in writing and keep a copy. Your employer is required by law to protect you from race discrimination. If it is your manager who is discriminating against you or harassing you, tell someone higher up in the organisation.

You should also collect evidence. This could include keeping a diary or record of the time, date and location of any incidents, what was said or done, who was involved, if there were any witnesses and evidence of any similar incidents against other colleagues. Record the names and jobs of those you think are treated more favourably than you, or details of the rule or policy that puts you at a disadvantage and why.

If things do not improve, talk to your union if you are a member or to your personnel department. They might be able to help you stop the discrimination.

If none of this helps, you may need to raise a written grievance with your employer. Although the law can help protect you, you should be aware that if you make a formal complaint, there is a risk of this making your life at work even more uncomfortable.

If this doesn't work, the final step could be to make a claim for race discrimination to an Employment Tribunal. You may need to raise a written grievance with your employer first. There are strict time limits involved, so get advice early on.

You don't need to have worked for your employer for any particular length of time before you can make a claim for race discrimination. If you have been dismissed, you may also be able to make a claim for unfair dismissal.

You will need to prove your case. This is why collecting evidence is so important. You can ask your employer questions about your treatment. This can help you decide if you've been discriminated against. It can also help to support your case.

For more information about discrimination at work, see Basic rights at work. In England, Wales and Scotland, see also What can I do if my employer treats me unfairly because of my race in Discrimination fact sheets.

For more information about race discrimination and sources of help, see Taking action about race discrimination.

For more information about unfair dismissal because of discrimination, see Dismissal.

For more information about procedures you should follow when you make a complaint about discrimination at work, in England, Wales and Scotland, see Sorting out problems at work and in Northern Ireland, see Dealing with grievances, dismissal and disciplinary action at work.

If you think you've suffered race discrimination at work, you should get advice from an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by e-mail, click on nearest CAB.

Other Frequently asked questions about discrimination: