Skip to content Skip to footer

Why is this important? The information we provide differs between countries. To get information for your country, please select from the dropdown.

Can I complain about my doctor?

This information applies to England only

If you feel you have been poorly treated or misdiagnosed, you can complain about your GP. If you are not fit enough to do this, you can nominate someone else to do it for you. If you decide to make a complaint, it is best to do it as soon as possible as there are time limits within which you must act.

The first step is to go to your GP and ask for a copy of their complaints procedure - they should all have one. Follow the guidelines for complaining and return it to the appropriate person and wait for a reply.

If you are not satisfied with the response from your initial complaint, the matter can be put to your Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) or trust. Your local HealthWatch [] l can help with making a complaint.

If you feel that your complaint has not been dealt with in a satisfactory way, you can refer it on to the health service ombudsman.

For more information about making a complaint about a doctor or seeking compensation, see NHS and local authority social services complaints.

Other Frequently asked questions about health: