Why is this important? The information we provide differs between countries. To get information for your country, please select from the dropdown.

Statutory declaration of change of name for adults

You can use this sample statutory declaration of change of name, if you are not using a solicitor to help you write it.

Remember, you will have to sign it using your new name. You will also have to have your declaration witnessed by a solicitor or a Justice of the Peace (JP). This means that you'll have to sign it in their presence. They will then also need to sign it and add their details. You will usually have to pay a small fee for having your declaration witnessed.


Statutory Declaration of CHANGE OF NAME
Elvis Smash

I, Elvis Smash, of Gracelands, Memphis Road, London, E12 2PC, formerly known as John Smith, do solemnly and sincerely declare that:-

1. I absolutely and entirely renounce, relinquish and abandon the use of my former name of John Smith and assume, adopt and determine to take and use from the date hereof the new name of Elvis Smash in substitution for my former name of John Smith.

2. I shall at all times hereafter, in all records, deeds, documents and other writings and in all actions and proceedings, as well as in all dealings and transactions and on all occasions whatsoever, use and subscribe my new name of Elvis Smash in substitution for my former name of John Smith so relinquished to the intent that I may hereafter be called, known and identified by the new name of Elvis Smash and not by my former name of John Smith.

3. I authorise and require all persons, at all times, to identify, describe and address me by my new name of Elvis Smash. I make this solemn declaration conscientiously, believing the same to be true and by virtue of the provisions of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835.


*This ___ day of _________ 201

____________________ (signed with new name)

formerly known as


Before me



*to be completed by solicitor/JP

Citizens Advice

Rate this page Give feedback