Skip to content Skip to footer

Why is this important? The information we provide differs between countries. To get information for your country, please select from the dropdown.

What can I do if I bought a faulty car?

This information applies to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

If the trader will not speak to you then the next course of action you should consider is to write to the trader (remembering to keep a copy of the letter) setting out the problem and letting them know what action you would like them to take. You should allow the trader a reasonable time to respond to the letter - perhaps 14 days which will allow them to look in to the problem and to get back to you. It may be a good idea to send the letter by recorded delivery as an assurance that the letter reached the trader.

When the deadline is up, if the trader still has not made any attempt to put right the problem then you could consider taking court action against the dealer.

For more information on buying a faulty car, see Buying a used car.

Other Frequently asked questions about consumer affairs: