Why is this important? The information we provide differs between countries. To get information for your country, please select from the dropdown.

Get advice

You can contact us to:

  • get advice from a Citizens Advice Bureau
  • get advice over the phone from a Citizens Advice Bureau
  • get advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service.

Get advice from a Citizens Advice Bureau

Citizens Advice Bureaux offer free, confidential, impartial and independent advice from over 3,500 locations. These include high streets, community centres, doctors’ surgeries, courts and prisons.

Top tips

What to bring to a bureau

Bringing the right paperwork with you can help the adviser resolve your problem more quickly.

Find out what would be useful to bring

Our advice helps people resolve their problems with debt, benefits, employment, housing, discrimination, and many more issues. It is available to everyone.

Advice may be given face-to-face or by phone. Most bureaux can arrange home visits and some also provide email advice. A growing number are piloting the use of text, online chat and webcams. Search for your local bureau to see the full range of services it provides.

Search for your local CAB

What to expect from a visit to a CAB

When you arrive at the CAB we will welcome you and let you know what services we have available. These include a wide range of factsheets and leaflets for you to browse. Please tell us about any language or access requirements you have and we will do our best to accommodate them.

Everyone is offered a short session with an assessor, who will identify the most appropriate way for us to give you the help that is needed. We’ll keep you informed about the length of time you may need to wait for this.

Depending on your particular needs, we may make an appointment to discuss your problem further – in person, by phone or on email. Alternatively, we may provide you with information to take away, or direct you to a different organisation that is better placed to help you.

Get advice by phone

Advice by phone is available from all Citizens Advice Bureaux. In addition, we are in the process of developing a national phone service. It will become available in different parts of the UK over the next two years.

It is now fully operational in Wales, but only for people who live or work there. In England the service is currently being rolled out area by area. If it is not yet available in your area, you will hear options for recorded information.

  • For Wales call 03444 77 20 20
  • For England call 03444 111 444 or check your local bureau's contact details via the search box above
  • TextRelay users should call 03444 111 445.

Calls to this service cost the same as calling 01 and 02 numbers. They will be included as part of a mobile allowance or a landline call package. You will be charged for calls not included in your landline package or if you go over your mobile allowance. Calls will also be charged if you do not have a call package with your provider. Landline calls typically cost up to 9p per minute and calls from mobiles between 8p and 40p per minute. Please note that tariffs vary and are subject to change, so for specific call charge details please check with your own provider.

You can continue to access our service on our previously advertised 0844 number. Calls to our 0844 numbers will typically be charged at costs up to 13p per minute, depending on the time of day, plus a call set up fee. Calls from mobiles cost between 5p and 41p per minute. Please note that tariffs vary and are subject to change, so for specific call charge details please check with your own provider.

Further information can be found on the Ofcom website using their call cost guide.

Our Adviceline complies with the Data Protection Act. Find out how we store your data.

Get advice about a consumer problem

Other ways of getting advice

Here are some other ways of getting advice:

  • ACAS give employment advice. Go to: www.acas.org.uk
  • Shelter give housing advice. Go to www.shelter.org.uk
  • National Debt Line give debt advice. Go to www.nationaldebtline.co.uk
  • StepChange Debt Charity. Go to: www.stepchange.org
  • The Money Advice Service gives advice about money and financial issues. Go to: www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk
  • Which? has a legal advice service available to some subscribers. Go to: www.which.co.uk
  • Your household, motor or personal insurance policy may provide a legal advice service
  • If you belong to a union, professional body or trade association, you may be able to get legal advice from them.

Citizens Advice

Rate this page Give feedback